Monday, October 1, 2012

DIY Sunday

I got tied up with some other important matters yesterday, so I wasn't able to post my wedding DIY for this Sunday. I love this idea, so instead of waiting till next Sunday to write it, I'm just going to post a belated entry.

This week's DIY comes from Ruffled. This is an awesome favor for a winter wedding (which my regular readers should know I'm begging for). If I did this project, I would change a couple of the elements, but the general idea would be the same.

What's the one thing you crave when you're sitting in front of a fireplace on a cold winter night watching a movie? I guess you could say a few things here, but the answer I'm looking for is hot chocolate. I have a ridiculous sweet tooth, so hot chocolate is a staple for me around the holidays. The writers at Ruffled have designed a really simple, sophisticated version of a hot chocolate wedding favor.

What you’ll need:
-12″ Disposable Decorating Bags (200)
- Chocolate powder (from Costco or Sam’s club)
- 75 teeny, tiny hair ties (x2)
- Marshmallows bags (x4)
- Twine (x1)
- Favor tags




Instructions:
Step 1: Cut decorating bags around 6.5″
Step 2: Fill bag with 2 tablespoons (or whatever your chocolate powder suggests) with chocolate.
Step 3: Use the teeny, tiny hair tie to close off the chocolate. 
(You may need to cut the access bag after tying it off. The picture below, for example, should be cut so there’s just about a 1/2 inch of bag showing after the hair tie.)
Step 4: Insert chocolate filled cone into another decorating bag; make sure seams line up.
Step 5: Pour 1/4 cup of marshmellows into decorating bag on top of the chocolate cone.
Step 6: Tie a piece of ribbon, yarn, or string above the marshmallows. You need to make this tight so the marshmallows don’t dry out. I tied it into two knots.
Step 7: After string is secure around bag, add your favor tag and tie it into a pretty bow.
Step 8: Repeat as many times as necessary.


The finished product
Since this could seem like a really tedious and boring task to do by yourself, you can enlist your bridesmaids to help. Make a night out of it and invite them over for wine and girl talk, and form an assembly line to get it done as quickly as possible. You probably won't even realize how many you can get done in one night.


No comments:

Post a Comment